Our overall health relies on so many factors. It is imperative that we try to keep our mind and body in great shape to live a better quality of life. One of the things that we need to take into consideration is having strong bones and teeth. Dental practitioners at the MyHM Dental Clinic in Kellyville strongly believe that maintaining bone health is crucial for your mouth bones thus your oral health.
Advantages of Strong Bones and Teeth
Our bones and teeth are one of the most compact parts of our body. The advantages of having strong bones and teeth can give lifetime benefits that even seniors can enjoy. A strong set of teeth provides better chewing and eating habits. Strong bones, on the other hand, raise an individual’s wellbeing to optimum levels.
- Improves the quality of living. The bones in our body significantly support multiple internal organs. Strong bones can support plenty of your physical activities and help you accomplish your daily tasks without any hassle.
- Enhances athletic capabilities. It’s no secret that in order for an athlete to perform to the full extent, having a healthy mind and strong bones are prerequisites. It enables an individual to maximize their strength and endurance.
- Fresher breath. Having strong teeth is equivalent to exceptional oral health. Oftentimes, bad breath is caused by decaying teeth and an unhealthy mouth.
- It saves you money. Dental procedures can be extremely costly, with a strong set of teeth, you can stay away from expensive treatments.
- Prevents diseases. Oftentimes, an unhealthy tooth is related to diseases. Tooth decay, for example, compromises overall health as the bacteria travels through the bloodstream and block the arteries, which eventually lead to cardiovascular problems.
- Fights off osteoporosis. As we age, our body’s bone health gradually declines as well leaving us vulnerable to bone diseases. This can be prevented if we maintain strong bones as early as possible.
Maintaining Oral Health and Bone health
The following guidelines are just some of the few things that can do to keep your bones and teeth strong for life:
- Be more cautious about your food intake. Always include low-fat dairy products, vegetables, proteins, and low grains in your diet.
- Monitor your weight and make sure that you are maintaining a healthy weight according to your age.
- Calcium supplements are okay but it would be better if your body absorbs calcium with natural foods.
- Be physically active by doing regular exercises.
- Avoid smoking.
- Drink moderately and stay away from alcoholic beverages
- Avoid getting in situations where you will be at risk of bone injuries.
- For oral health, clean your teeth regularly by using a toothbrush, dental floss, and mouthwash.
- Make sure to visit your dentist regularly.
- Dr Abraham from A2Z Dental warns to not ignore signs of dental problems; if you are experiencing gum inflammation, toothache, or any kind of discomfort in your mouth, go to the dentist immediately.
Foods for Strong Bones and Teeth
To strengthen bones and teeth, nutrients such as Vitamin D and calcium are needed. These two nutrients are fundamentals in early life but these also play a vital role in adulthood.
Doctors suggest regular consumption of dairy products for bone development not only for children but also for adults. In fact, adults over the age of 50 are highly encouraged to eat and drink dairy products that are rich in calcium and vitamin D.
Listed below are some of the foods that you can add to your meal from time to time for healthy bones and teeth:
- Cheese. A slice of cheese a day is enough to supplement your body with 30% calcium.
- Yogurt. This is one of the few foods that are packed with Vitamin D. At least one cup of fat-free yogurt can provide 30% calcium and 20% Vit. D.
- Orange juice. Finish off your meal with a glass of orange juice and complete your body’s daily requirement of calcium and vitamin D.
- Sardines. It may not be a popular opinion but sardines are actually rich in Vitamin D and Calcium.
- Milk. Milk is known to be one of many dairy products that can provide calcium for strong bones and teeth.
- Salmon. Apart from the fact that salmon is rich in Vit. D, it also contains lots of omega 3 fatty acids which are good for the heart.
- Spinach, Vegetarians can enjoy this alternative as spinach is a good source of calcium and other nutrients.
- Cereals. This easy to prepare food is a good substitute for sardines and salmon if you are always on the go.
- Tuna. Just like salmon, a can of tuna can supplement your body with at least 39% Vit. D
- Collard greens. This nutritious vegetable is packed with calcium making it a very good alternative for dairy products.
Aside from eating healthy foods, your diet must be accompanied by physical activities and a healthy lifestyle to ensure that your bones and teeth are in good shape.