As we grow older, our bone mass decreases naturally. Our body’s bone structure gets weaker gradually in supporting our body weight. Eventually, we will start to feel pain and discomfort on our joints, especially on our lower back muscles. The accumulation of weight-bearing over the years can lead to lower back problems like osteoporosis and other adverse health conditions that may cause constant back pain. Combine that with discipline and motivation; we guarantee that you will have a healthier and more productive lifestyle even as you grow older. If you want to learn more about the best exercise machines and other fitness accessories, please click on this link.
There are many ways to reinforce our backbone and back muscles. With the help of the right exercise equipment and fitness accessories, we can relieve the tension from our back and improve our overall stability.
Exercise Machines and Fitness Accessories for Seniors
Exercise machines and fitness accessories are not only designed for gym buffs and professional athletes. They are also ideal for seniors and the elderly. What makes an exercise machine perfect for the elders is its design and function. Take the chest press machine as an example. The chest press machine can be used in a seated position, and the weight load can be adjusted to match the user’s fitness level. It also has a smooth motion because of the handles’ design and positioning. These features provide low-impact exercises to seniors that allows them to safely workout by themselves with minimal assistance.
Not only does it help them strengthen their back muscles gradually, but it also relieves their lower back pain and general back discomfort efficiently. We will talk about the techniques and benefits later in this article.
Some individuals prefer to workout with less fuzz and choose a piece of exercise equipment that do not require assembly or setup. This is where fitness accessories come into play. We are talking about hand weights, dumbbells, and kettlebells. These are the ideal fitness accessories for seniors because of their portability and weight variations. They are considerably lighter and highly durable. These kinds of fitness equipment allow the elderly to work out with maximum safety and effectivity. With the right exercise approach, they can ease the tension from their lower back and reduce back pain dramatically.
Back Strengthening Exercises for Seniors and Elderly
Here are the recommended back strengthening exercises for seniors and the elderly using a chest press machine:
- Adjust the seat to accommodate your height properly
- Maintain your back contact with the backrest
- Grab the handles and make sure that your arms are evenly spread
- Press outwards
- Exhale as the handles presses away from your chest
- Allow handles to return to its original position near your chest
- Inhale as the handles near your chest
- Recommended three to four sets of ten to four reps
- Start again with the initial position
Here are the recommended back strengthening exercises for seniors and the elderly using a dumbbell:
The reverse fly technique:
Choose a dumbbell that has a comfortable weight
- Bend your hips slightly
- Let your arms hang down naturally in front of your body holding the dumbbells
- Pull your elbows with your arms slightly bent while squeezing your torso
- Recommended three to four sets of ten to four reps
With regular training, we guarantee that your lower back pain will gradually go away, and your back muscles will get a significant improvement. Primary forms of exercises can also help without the use of exercise tools and accessories. Here are some of the recommended techniques:
- Eccentric Straight Leg Raise
- Bent Knee Raise
- Camel and Cat
- Back Extension
- Legs Extension
- Arm Raises (Lying)
- Arm Raises (Kneeling)
Now that you know some of the most efficient exercises with or without an exercise machine or accessory let’s talk about the benefits that you can gain from regular training. We prepared a summary below about the perks and advantages of back strengthening exercise for seniors.
- Reduces the Risks of Injury: For an old and the elderly, preventing injuries is vital in their health. It takes longer for them to heal and recover; that’s why prevention is way better than a cure.
- Improves Core Strength: research says that seniors that regular exercise can increase their overall core strength for up to 30 per cent. This ability allows them to have a better range of motion and mobility too.
- Reduce Back Pain: The back muscles are appropriately activated with back strengthening exercises, which, in turn, reduces the stress and strain accumulation over years of bearing the weight.
- Improved Stability and Balance: A strong core strengthens the spine, which improves the balance and overall stability. Not only does this capability help the elderly improve their training performance, but it also makes their everyday tasks more manageable.
Tips: Always observe warm-ups and cooldown exercises. These techniques can increase the efficiency of all kinds of training techniques. It also maximises your safety.
The importance of back strengthening exercises for seniors should not be taken lightly. It plays a significant role in prolonging their lives. Staying in shape at old age has its benefits that are worth the time and effort. So, if you want to remain productive and healthier as you grow older, consider the back strengthening exercises for seniors with a positive mindset. Do not miss the chance to check out Everfittreadmill.com.au for more exercise tips.